This infographic was created by Dr. Douglas Steinbrech, premier Manhattan plastic surgeon, about gynecomastia to visualize some of the statistics, facts and available treatments for men. Also know as man boobs, it is the enlargement of the glandular tissue of the male breast. Gynecomastia is the fourth most commonly requested plastic surgery procedure form men.
Thousands of men have suffered for years with shame and embarrassment from gynecomastia. This enlarged tissue could easily be confused with fatty tissue, commonly being referred to as “man boobs.” This condition can create serious self-esteem and body issues within a man, in turn severely affecting his social and personal life.
Male breast enlargement causes more complications than just low self-esteem and embarrassment. It can be very painful, causing chronic pain and discomfort, leaving painful lumps and open sores under the nipple. Symptoms often start with breast development and lead to bloody nipple discharge and tenderness, leaving men very confused about what is going on with their bodies.
Dr. Douglas Steinbrech: Premier Manhattan Gynecomastia Surgeon
Dr. Douglas Steinbrech is an expert surgeon in the treatment of gynecomastia. From his exclusive Manhattan practice, Dr. Steinbrech has performed thousands of plastic surgeries for men of all ages. Dr. Steinbrech is consistently rated among the top 5 plastic surgeons in Manhattan on RateMDs.
Dr. Steinbrech’s expertise is reknowned not only in Manhattan but around the world. He has authored or co-authored over fifty peer-reviewed publications as well as presented his research and innovations at dozens of nationwide surgical conferences.
If you are suffering from gynecomastia, you need a top plastic surgeon. Dr. Steinbrech is respected not only within Manhattan, but around the world. His expertise and excellent patient manner have received consistent praise from patients, the media, and other surgeons.
Manhattan Surgeon Dr. Steinbrech’s Gynecomastia Infographic
What is Gynecomastia? A 101 for Manhattan Men
Gynecomastia is enlargement of the glandular tissue of the male breast. It is also known as man boobs or moobs.
As the fourth most commonly requested plastic surgery procedure for men, gynecomastia surgeries ahve seen a 29% increase since 2000. Thre were over 26,000 gynecomastia surgeries in the US in 2014. Common causes vary depending on age. In infants, the mother’s estrogen causes gynecomstia. In puberty, hormonal changes can encourage breast growth. As men age, causes vary from drug use to disease to thyroid imbalance.
Drugs and Medicine that cause Gynecomastia
- • Drugs: Anabolic Steroids (Testosterone), Alcohol, Marijuana, Methamphetamine, Heroin
- • Medicine: Medicine that treats ulcers (cimetidine), medicine that treats epilepsy (phenytoin, Dilantin), chemotherapy drugs, antiandrogen drugs (flutamidem, cyproterone and spironolactone), antianxiety and antidepressant medicines (Valium)
- • Breast development
- • Lumps under the nipple
- • Nipple discharge or tenderness
- • Bloody nipple discharge
- • Painful lumps
- • Chronic pain/discomfort
- • Embarrassment and feeling ashamed
- • Open sores of the skin breast
- • Medication: Medicines that block the effect of estrogen in breast tissue.
- • Surgery: Male breast reduction surgery to remove excess breast tissue.
- • Mild Gynecomastia: Liposuction (incision hidden in armpit)
- • Moderate Gynecomastia: Excision of fibers gland (small incision)
- • Severe Gynecomastia: Chest Lift
Gynecomastia Surgery Breakdown
- • Shelf life: Permanent
- • Recovery time: 6 weeks
- • Cost (nationwide average): $5,425 – $8,500 depending on the type of procedure done and location
- • Post-op pain: 4 out of 10 (1 – Excruciatingly Unbearable; 10 – Mild)
Gynecomastia is commonly treated with male breast reduction surgery and offers permanent results. In mild cases, liposuction is performed where the excess glandular tissue is removed and excess fat is removed by a vacuum suction. For more severe cases, an excision of the fiberous gland will be done along with liposuction. The excess glandular tissue is removed and the areola or nipple is reduced or repositioned to give the chest a more natural appearance. Dr. Douglas Steinbrech understands the importance of your masculinity and is committed to finding the right gynecomastia procedure for you to gain your self esteem back and obtain a natural and appealing physique.
Male Body Lift NYC,Male Rhinoplasty,Swimsuit Lift,4 Simple Mens Skincare Tips To Look Great This Holiday Season,Triceps Implants In NYC,Pec Enhancement For Men Gynecomastia Treatment Doctor NY Manhattan,Torsotuck,Hi Def Liposculpting